It feels like I haven't had very many project finishes this year, which is really starting to bum me out. I know that a lot of it was because of the wedding, and then because of the blues I had for a few weeks after the wedding was over. So I'm so glad that now I can report a couple finishes and two new project starts!
First, I finished my Cascade Shawl 23, which I think turned out lovely. My only complaint is that it doesn't want to lay flat, which I attribute to using yarn that isn't as springy as wool and probably knitting the I-cord edging a bit too tightly.
Now all I need to do is wait for my wedding photos to come in and I can bundle this up with a good photo of my dress to take to my seamstress as a thank you gift. She was amazing!
Second, I finished one of the two pair of socks my aunt asked me for at Christmas time. They were on my needles for far too long, but I finally got them finished, and I think they are fun - for black socks.
After finishing the socks, I of course immediately cast on a new pair of socks, because what else would you do? I was going on a work trip and was staring down the barrel of 4 hours in the car with no knitting, so it had to be socks. I decided to try doing 2 at a time, toe up for this pair.
So far, I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan. I love the idea of it, but not the practice. I find that I'm gripping the needles too tightly and worrying a lot more than usual about ladders on the side. Plus, even though I know in my brain that I'm literally doing double the work, it still looks like I'm only making half the progress as I go. I think I'll go back to my trusty one at a time, cuff down construction after this. I'm not a sufferer of second sock syndrome, so it's pretty safe for me.
Finally, I got my Craftsy on and ordered the Old Toll Road kit. It arrived and I cast on pretty soon thereafter. So far, I love the way the Cloudborn Twist feels to work with.
I've started twice though, because I noticed as I started row 5 of the chart that I had an extra stitch from what the chart said I should. I assumed it was my mistake, and ripped out and started again, and ended up back at the same point with the same extra stitch. I even counted on row 3 and I had the right number of stitches then - so I started thinking there might be something wrong with the chart, not with me. I even posted on Knitting Paradise asking for help - and a lovely group member pointed out that the extra stitch gets worked into the first stitch of the center section repeat and then is absorbed by the end. Once that whole thing made sense, it was like the floodgates opened! I'm having ever so much fun with it now :)
Other than that, Santa moves along apace:
And yardwork has happened, though not as much as could have done if I weren't stuck in my office on all these beautiful days!
And I'm mostly just anxiously counting down the days to the end of the semester, and then the next two weeks before I am taking a week off work... hopefully I'll make some progress then!
Happy Spring, everyone!